Friday, January 16, 2009

2008 Part 3: Fall begins in AK












I had been waiting all summer to execute my grand scheme......propose to Ash, and then split town for AK so she could plan everything! I figured she'd never expect that, and sure enough it worked out. I did my best -- designed a ring, and with the help of Whit, lined up an amazing private dinner in a wine cellar at the Pitcher Inn  in Warren, VT. Everything came together perfectly, and it was an awesome night.

Before I knew it, I was on a plane to AK. I had found myself a month -- a month in one of the most amazing places on Earth. I had 10 days there alone in 2007, knew I hadn't even scratched the surface, and couldn't wait to get back. It is a truly special, wild place. The plan this time was the first two weeks alone scouting new areas and rivers, and then guiding my Dad for the next two. Time would be spent on foot, camping streamside, and finding solitude (yes, there can even be too many people in AK.) I was hoping to line up some kind of backcountry fly-out, and
I wanted to fish heavily for Arctic Grayling on a few rivers, and primarily on the Gulkana, a National Wild And Scenic river in the interior that would require a 4 or 5 day float. 

The photos here are from the first couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment