Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cave's Branch - Creatures in the Night






I've always wanted to photograph wild snakes in a tropical jungle. And knowing we were headed for a week at Cave's Branch, I knew I'd have some opportunities. The only 'rule' Ash had was that I couldn't catch and play with any of them. 'Play' is a relative term though, isn't it :)

I went out on my own in the evenings, and ended up finding five different species. I was really hoping to come across a wild boa constrictor, but alas, none were to be found.

As I said before, you are IN the jungle there, and wildlife has free roam of the grounds. Rooms are screened though, so you can sleep comfortably once you get used to it. Our first night we had a Paca, or Gibnut as they are known in Belize, come strolling by our bedroom. Other nights included hearing something rather large cross the river below us and crash up the mountain face we were on, likely a Tapir (AKA Mountain Cow). Ashley woke we up one night thinking a jaguar was breathing outside our window, but it was just the howler monkeys off in the distance. We also heard something walking around behind our treehouse on my nightly snake walk, but never saw what it was.

Attached here are photos of a Pygmy Snail Sucking Snake, a beautiful, yet-to-be-identified, yellow and black snake (Edit: Now confirmed as a Blunt-Headed Tree Snake), a hummingbird in their botanical garden, a Cat-Eyed Snake, and a Kinkajou we came across hanging out over the treehouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment