Friday, May 1, 2009

Cali: Heading to Whitney

















After another morning on the Walker, packed up and headed South to Mount Whitney. The lottery permit system doesn't start until May, and since the throngs are held away by the snow and cold, late April strikes me at the perfect time to go for a climb.

I picked up my backcountry permit from the Ranger's office and started out around 2 PM, intending to camp around 11,500 ft at Upper Boyscout Lake. It was breezy and forecasts were for high winds further North up near Mammoth, but everything seemed OK. Around 4:30, I crested out of the Lower Boyscout Lake basin into Upper Boyscout ft in heavy winds, falling temps, and bailing climbers. Thinking sleeping conditions would be better lower, I dropped back down to Lower Boyscout and hunkered down in an old snow pit behind a boulder. Despite the cover, heavy winds still hammered me all night, eliminating any chances of a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment