Thursday, September 9, 2010

Giddy Up Grayson






Mt. Rogers, in Grayson Highlands State Park, about an hour from Marion, was one of my favorite places to spend time during Co-op sessions in college. The highest point in VA, it has a resident herd of wild ponies, and is a favorite section of hikers heading North on the Appalachian Trail. Part of the deal with this new contract assignment was to allow for Ash to come down a couple times a month and telecommute to her job here in VT. So, early on I knew I wanted to take her up there to see the ponies and hike one of the most scenic sections of the AT.

I used love to go up and camp near the summit during ice storms in the Fall to test new gear for the upcoming winter. The summit ridges are exposed and get absolutely hammered in big storms -- aside from Mt. Washington, it's the only place on the East Coast where I've been physically blown off my feet.

Luckily Ash had blue skies and plentiful ponies. We were there just after birthing, and had a few shaky youngsters hanging around, getting used to life in the high country.


No comments:

Post a Comment