Friday, September 10, 2010

NRG






NRG - The New River Gorge - is hands down, one of the best playgrounds on Earth. With world class rock climbing, world class paddling, mountain biking, base jumping, great food, great people and a fun town, it's pretty much got it all.

It's where I have recorded more than one 'Perfect Day' -- paddle the Gorge solo early before all the rafts put on, get picked up by Doc at the take-out and go rock climbing all day, paddle the Gorge again in the evening with Doc to get the sweat of the day off, go have a great dinner at the Sedona Grille, camp, repeat. Yep, that's pretty much perfect.

When I first got down to Marion, typical high Spring waters were ripping through the Gorge, so I had to see what old friends were still in Fayetteville. Sure enough, my friend Bryan Kirk, always eager to go paddle and THROW DOWN, was around and ready to go. That's him getting inverted at Surprise. Just typing this, and thinking about the high-water boof at the top of Double-Z, makes me smile. Ah, the sound the hull makes ----- TTHHHHHUUUUMMMPPPBBB. Can't beat it!!!

Before I leave that area, I always finish with a run down the Gorge. By the end of the summer, typical low water conditions had set in, and most of my friends were out of town on the competition circuit. Luckily, it's a paddling town, and we're a friendly lot, and Doc had crossed path with a local paddler, Elizabeth, a fan of Jackson Kayak who was eager to paddle. Always one to meet new paddlers and make new friends, we met up and I headed down the river with her, JBob, Dot and Todd. The New has a bunch of little hidden playspots, and I was happy to introduce them to the 'Splat Room' -- an awesome little boulder/cave that is set up perfect for rock splats, splat wheels, cartwheels to splats, loops to splats, whatever flavor of splat you like really. After a few tries, Dot dialed in her first splat with cheers from us all and celebration ensued.

After I got home, Elizabeth shared the pics (Thanks!), and had this to say -- "Thanks for your help with my flatwater looping.....I love the sounds it makes! "

That's what it's all about right there. Making friends and making smiles.

D




No comments:

Post a Comment